"...Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.”

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

That will be a comfort, one way - never to be an old woman - but then - always to have lessons to learn!

Lessons to learn. Boy isn't that the truth. It's so often that life feels like one big--often painful--lesson. That's been the last couple of weeks for me at least, lots of lessons--some more painful than others.

I want to share one of the less painful lessons from this week. A couple of days ago I called my mom and said, "Mom. Help. I need a paradigm shift. I am freaking out again."

College--the best time of a young person's life, right? Or that's what they keep telling me. But sometimes it doesn't feel that way, sometimes I get bogged down in the stress of research, papers, exams, social life, and just ... all that is my college experience--that supposed "best time" of my life.
So, on this particular day that I called my mom college didn't feel so great. In fact, I wanted it all to just melt away for a little while, but that wasn't an option. This was my mom's advice:

A person never changed the world by remaining lost in pity parties. Count your blessings. And remember, it's silly to approach opportunities saying, "Man this really sucks."

So here is my list of blessings.

Number one:

Life is full of lessons but some of us are lucky enough to be blessed with cheerleaders to get us through it. I'm grateful for mine-mom, dad, my siblings, my best friend Daniel, his mom Megan who is always so sweet and encouraging, my roommates, my professors, ... the list could go on for miles.

Number two:

My Heavenly Father. He's really patient with me. I'm a stubborn, too busy, too tired, frustrating daughter of His way too often, and he is so patient. I am grateful for His love. I can't fully express how wonderful it is to know I am a daughter of God and that those I interact with are also children of God. I need to remind myself of that fact more often.

Number three:

The atonement. Remember, the atonement isn't just for sin. It's a shoulder to lean on throughout the day. How nice it is to have someone know exactly how I feel every second of the day. I need to remember to use it daily.

Number four:

Crisp Fall Mornings and the mountains. I love Utah for it's rugged beauty. I love the mountains--they feel like natures temples to me. A testament of God's existence and divinity. They help me to feel closer to him.



Number five:

Music. All kinds.


Number six:

My shoes. Shallow, I know...but it's okay to be grateful for shallow things, right? I love shoes. I can't help it. No other piece of clothing captures my personality better.



Number seven:

The scriptures. nuff said.

Number eight:

laughing. it soothes the soul.

Number nine:

sunflowers. best flower--ever.

Number ten:

life--the ups and the downs. I don't have to be happy about it all the time, but life is good. Life is a blessing.





I love this picture of BYU campus. Sometime we just need a paradigm shift. Who knew I spent my days in so beautiful a world.

2 comments:

  1. Great post - love the gratitude.

    You're doing great babe - keep it up.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweetie :) That was an awesome post :) It's okay to be sad, as long as you know when it's time to pick yourself back up, brush yourself off, and do exactly what you did - take a deep breath and jump back into the game. Don't ever let a day go by without counting your blessings - even the tiniest ladybug flying by. It's all a gift from God. And no matter what, your blessings will always, by far, outnumber anything that goes wrong - and that's a gift from God too. You are doing a great job - just remember to enjoy the little things. You're awesome - I have so much faith in you, I know you can do anything.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete