"...Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.”

Sunday, November 7, 2010

a poem

Alright, I normally am pretty shy about sharing poetry. However, I haven't done a legitimate blog post in a rather long while. For a brief period of time in high school I went through a poetry phase of sorts. I found myself in a very magical place where putting pen to the page was a joy. It lasted several months and then as oddly as it came it oddly vanished. I miss it sometimes-- I have become so analytical these last few years... maybe someday I'll have another writing streak, but as for now I hope you enjoy this poem I wrote years ago.



Cotton Blossoms



Another Day.

The calescent southern sun languidly bathes this, the land of flowing cotton. Cursed be you, oh wretched light--your rising brings not but my moil and sweat. Our world's colored game of gaff.

Axe to wood, rhythmic crack keeping time to a rich and sounding hum; listen and you will hear--these--our mourning songs of rue.

Among this sea of endless white, I glisten black. The basket's too deep. This fluff I pluck too bitty.

Why in your pearly hand do you hold this my momentary existence? You are no deity. Then why tread on His holy ground, deceiving keeper of frail life.

And while to live this mortal life, I feel a damned existence. This I know of my eternal soul: pure and hoping. Mercy on your soul I pray--for not I, no I am not the black thorn among these the many white cotton blossoms.





1 comment:

  1. Alissa, I *loved* this :) And loved the photo you put with it too. It's so mournful but so beautiful. Thanks for sharing it.

    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete