"...Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.”

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness.

Yes, this is my very cliché "New Year" blog post. Everyone's doing it, I am sure. It is that time, the resolution time-- New Year's resolutions!

New Year's resolutions that will soon be forgotten, new diets that will soon be broken, running shoes that will sit lonely in a dark corner of the closet, new books that will collect dust, old books that will collect dust, cupboards that will remain in disarray, ...

I could go on but, I think you get the idea. Why in the WORLD do we call them New Year's resolutions? It's easy to spout off different goals for the new year... talking the talk. But the game of resolute is very different indeed-- it's a walk the walk game; it's a game of responsibility; it's a game of determination; it's a game of faith; it's a game of hope; it's a game of redefining success and finding your "muchness"as Burton's Hatter so simply stated.

Just look at these different definitions for resolution:



1. The state or quality of being resolute; firm determination.
2. A resolving to do something.
3. A course of action determined or decided on.
4. A formal statement of a decision or expression of opinion put before or adopted by an assembly such as the U.S. Congress [or how about God, Family, Friends, and most importantly yourself].



Even these definitions, lack a certain something--an actual doing. Anyone can decide to do something, but then actually doing it--that's different. Nature sets in: we get tired, busy, lazy, distracted, and pretty soon it's 2012, and we're not the slightest bit "muchier."

Following the general trend, I have a few resolutions of my own-- all of which are founded on a desire to find my muchness. I want to be much more "muchier" much more than ever before. So, instead of calling my resolutions, "New Year's" resolutions-- I am going to take a bit of advice from Henry Moore. He said, " I think in terms of the day's resolutions, not the year's." One day at a time, might actually get the job done.

In following after a very wise friend (whose fantastic blog Philosophy and Sandwiches I suggest you visit--though I must warn you, don't visit on an empty stomach or you will come away desperate for a sandwich, truly desperate) I am starting my very own score card. I am going to take resolutions to the next step and actually be resolute in them. I actually want to play the game. I'll post my reports here at the end of the week--hopefully with some sort of spiritual insight gained from personal study and reflection, a funny story, etc.

I wish you all the very best in your resolutions for 2011. My prayers will be with each of you in all of your endeavors. And don't forget the advice of a woman of great muchness (Rose Sayer played by Katharine Hepburn in The African Queen), " Nature. . . is what we are put in this world to rise above. "

Song of the day is "Under Pressure" by Queen.

Bring it on.


1 comment:

  1. Now, that was a great post... but it sounded slightly familiar... and it's scaring me just a little... okay, more than a little :/

    Except for the Rose Sayer in The African Queen part... love that move :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete