"...Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.”

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple. --Willy Wonka

And thank goodness to those who spend their time inventing! Especially in the kitchen. I bow to them all and aspire to be like them.

Today my little sister came into the kitchen and said, "You just can't stop cooking can you?" And the answer is a resounding NO! I'm on a rampage! After baking TONS and tons of goodies for Sterling's big day, a beast has been unleashed. Even now as I sit here typing this I am still wearing my apron. It all started with three dozen cookies- two dozen snickerdoodle, a dozen chocolate chip- and a sheet of brownies. Admittedly, I cheated on the brownies and used a box mix.

BUT NEVER AGAIN will I use a box mix. Not after the discovery that I made today. I found a website. A miracle of a place with some of the most amazing recipes ever. I stumbled over it while on the hunt for the perfect brownie recipe. I love baking from scratch, but I have never been able to find a brownie recipe that truly satisfies. I would suggest that you visit the folowing link. My Spiced Life: http://www.myspicedlife.com/?cat=1. It's a website/blog run by former New York chef that's done just a little bit of everything.

And thank goodness for her little bit of everything mentality. It was an answer to my prayers to the brownie gods. I tried out her simple recipe nervous and hesistate. I hate it when a new recipe bombs--lots of ingredents and time down the drain, literally. HOWEVER, and I would like a drum roll here. No seriously slap your thighs like a drum or something...




This is the picture from her website. I am too tired to pull out a camera and take a picture of my own. Especially because mine look basically identical. I am more than thrilled with the outcome you guys!

All my love! It's back to the kitchen for me! Wait till you see what I have planned for tomorrow. . . oh yummy.

Song of the day is Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison. There is always so much hype about blue eyes. I feel like Van Marrison wrote this for me and my sad brown eyes. :-)

XOXOXO.

Oh and try the recipe. You will LOVE it.


1-1/2 sticks butter (6 oz)
6 0z semi sweet chocolate chips, about 1 cup *
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
3 eggs
1 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp salt
1 c all purpose flour
* I used Hershey’s semi sweet chips but any semi sweet chocolate (50% - 65%) will work.

1.Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and Flour a 9 inch square baking pan.
2.Melt butter and chocolate together in double boiler. Stir in cocoa powder until dissolved.
3.Whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt.
4.Whisk egg mixture into chocolate mixture.
5.Whisk in flour until thoroughly incorporated.
6.Pour brownie batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 - 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the pan come out barely clean. Cool.

3 comments:

  1. Okay FIRST of all, I finally *FINALLY* got off Skype with Daniel waaaaay after I told you to hang around and I feel terrible that we talked for so long when I knew you were waiting AND not feeling well :( I'm so sorry!

    NOW, your brownies look and sound *DELISH* even though I am not usually a brownie fan unless there is more frosting than brownie! And the website you found does indeed sound like an awesome website! But I must say..... your enthusiasm for baking is truly the highlight of your whole post :)

    AND, I too adore the song Brown-Eyed Girl

    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I forgot to tell you - I think your new slideshow is GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just sent you an email, but I gotta post it here too. I just love getting your comments. You're so good to me!

    I am happily waiting for your next *awesome* post!

    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete