"...Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.”

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Is this really the best time of my life?

College. It's supposed to be the best time of a young person's life, right? The time to live a little, unchained from the responsibilities of what my parents would call "real life." I've heard this a dozen times, but considering the day I just had and the many days like it ahead... I'm wondering is college really the BEST time of my life?

I mean, I killed myself through high school to get here. I dreamed about how amazing college was going to be and actually made it into my "first-choice."


Now I am sitting here in Provo, UT. I'm freezing my butt off because winter decided to show up ASAP, I'm poorer than the poorest church mouse, I can barely breathe under the homework load, my research job = slave labor, my TA job = obligation to speak with annoying freshman and grade poorly written papers. It's 1:30 in the morning, and I just finished reading a 60 page article that I skipped the last eight pages of because nothing was going in any more. But let's be honest, I really had no clue what was going on from page one... did I mention I have to write a response to this article that I didn't understand one word of?

So, really? Is this the BEST time of my life?



Finals are just around the corner (Heaven help me!) and for some reason I'm still taking midterms? What's the point of calling them midterms? Hmmmm? We're way past midterm in case you were wondering. My brain is hurting a little, okay a lot... I'm headed for a thud.

So seriously, is this really the best time of my life?

Dating blows. I'll end this one here. But again, is this really the BEST time of my life?


Well, it's tough for sure. HOWEVER, when I really stop and consider the last almost three years of college I don't think about all these stressful things. I think about all the incredible amounts of knowledge I have gained about so many different facets of this amazing world we live in. I think about the beautiful people that I have come to know and love--my best friends: Amanda, Hannah, Brynn, Andrew, Drew, Zach, Mallory, Dyl and Julie, Megan, and my ultimate partner in crime Danny. I think about my great roomies Rachel, Wendi, and Kayla. I think about the support my family has given me in my attempt to become a more educated individual. I think about the professors that have taken me under their wing and taught me so much. I think about my world travel previous and upcoming. I think about late nights in the TA office. I think of Reeses peanut butter cup wars. I think of Dilbert cartoons.

And in thinking of these many things, when I ask myself "is this really the best time of my life?" The answer is yes. Not just yes, but absolutely, positively, without a shout of a doubt YES. I have loved the last three years and look forward to the many years ahead. And it will all be worth it in the end, right?





Sweet Dreams and all my love.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome :) Just AWESOME!!!!!!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great time of life, but there are good times ahead too, I promise. And life changes a lot---I always tend to forget that. I think whatever it is I'm doing is what I'll ALWAYS be doing. But the key is to be happy whatever stage of life you are in, because each one offers unique opportunities that you can't get back. This is the only time that you'll be able to be a student full time, without other worries---I mean, can you imagine what it would be like to do all of that, AND have to worry about taking care of a baby? Ugh, no thank you. So enjoy this unique time, and that even though it's hard (and YES, being a student is HARD!), it's a time to take advantage of all of the great things about being a student (if you're not too tired :)).

    ReplyDelete
  3. kaydizzle fo' shizzzzzzzleNovember 11, 2010 at 12:50 PM

    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- GUUURRRRRRLLLLLLLL....I HEAR YOU MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE ON THIS PLANET!!!!!!!! Except I'm still at cartoon/slide #3...Haven't made it to "is this worth it??" yet. Hopefully soon though. Your blog post totally helped. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! Ladies! Thank you for the comments. :-) I love getting comments- they make my day.

    Megan- you are such a loyal reader thanks. :-)

    Heather- How do I follow your blog on Mormon Mommy Wars? I didn't see a thing to click?

    kaydizzle fo' shizzzzzzle- why don't they have mail order boy friends? From places like Italy, Ireland, and Spain?

    XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can find me at www.mormonmommywars.com.

    ReplyDelete